26 June 2006

Home...Joburg, SA - Glasgow, Scotland

Well its time to go home now, its Monday, 26th of June today, I leave here on the 27th of June in the evening and on Wednesday 28th of June I will be home in sunny Glasgow, Scotland! Its funny when we were driving from Drakensburg to JoBurg the radio is quite strange for all the types of music and languages and you have to keep changing it, and one channel had on it the pipes playing 'Scotland the brave', I had shivers go down my spine when I heard it, I do love it when the pipes play. Thats the 2nd time they have played for me going home! I like that! Not that I am homesick, its just that I love my country, I love my city and I love the people...probably why I am a community worker!

My thoughts, like them or not...I want to thank those people who have been with me along my journey keeping up with me on my blog and giving me some encouraging comments - they do help me you know! I also want to say thanks to the people I have met in all the countries along the way travellers, peope who worked in different projects, people just met along the way - India, Nepal, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Botswana, Zambia (Not in Namibia long enough - didn't see Brad and Angelina darn it!). I will keep in touch and I will endeavour to help the projects that I have learned about and I will encourage others to help too!

My mind has been opened and I feel a lot of love especially for the children I have had the opportunity to meet and work with. I am happy to go home, moreso as I need to work and start paying for this last 10 months - I am skint! I am looking forward to a new chapter in my life and I am especially looking forward to catching up with friends and family.

As I have said before, the world is a small place when you start travelling and you realise how alike we all really are and how we need each others help sometimes. I admire people like Looie and Brad and there family who up stakes and move where they need to move to with all their children, so many people tell me you can't do these things when you have kids...well they have and their kids are thriving and happy and bare foot in New Zealand and safe. I also admire the people who work so hard in their communities to help people even though they don't have so much themselves, like Bishnu in Nepal. I also feel like my friend Lynda was with me as I have travelled, her comments and texts made me laugh, I will miss her very much.

I have met so many unsung heros, they inspire me and I feel blessed to have met them along my path especially in the projects I got to work in in Africa and Thailand and to visit in Nepal especially.

Well, God bless and hope you enjoyed the blog! Not much more to say now...but you know me I will probably come back on here and say something else, you just can't shut me up! And if you see any suitable vacancies...let me know...I need a job!

Aw the best

Sylv x

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, 27 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done sylvia, you have done yourself proud. dont know what i'm gonna read once a month now you coming back! well done for living the dream
x

 
At Wednesday, 05 July, 2006, Blogger Patt said...

Bargeddie welcomes you with open arms and a wee Punto.

 
At Thursday, 20 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sylvia
You did fab!! Well done. You are an inspiration. Lynda would be proud xx
Ali (Uni)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home